Windows Gaming WAS Is it yet possible to _really_ switch from Windows?

Patrick C patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 15:41:12 MST 2008

I just thought I'd throw this out there, since it's related...

I just threw a LAN party on the 31st with about 18 people. One of those
people ran Linux (Ubuntu 7.10) for the reason that he couldn't install
Windows on his computer. He said that his Windows XP license is an upgrade
from a Windows 98 license which is also an upgrade license, and nothing
older than that recognizes his CD-ROM drive. He already had most of the
games we were going to play (some recent, some older: Counter-Strike:
Source, Warcraft III, Starcraft, Age of Empires III) working with Wine. For
the rest (or ones that were simply buggy) I threw my copy of Cedega on there
and pointed them to his Wine directories for the shortcuts, and the games
ran and performed fairly well.

The cons were not really show-stoppers. A minor performance loss and a
slightly more complicated installation process. The things he missed out on
were tools like Daemon Tools and Daemonscript (which I combined so nobody
would have to pass around CDs)--not the games themselves. That said, real
Linux games hardly exist outside of Id Software's stuff, and the selection
of Windows games guaranteed to work with Cedega/Wine is somewhat small,
including only the biggest titles.

On Dec 27, 2007 9:43 PM, JT Moree <moreejt at pcxperience.com> wrote:

> believed to be clean.

Amarok: Rediscover your music.