IPTables Intermittent Stopping

Jay jay at kinetic.org
Mon Jan 7 10:46:24 MST 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Craig White wrote:

> gee...you're the security expert

Perhaps, but that does not make me an expert on the funkiness of every
piece of security-related software.  :)

> Do you have something like denyhosts (I vaguely recall something else
> like it that starts with a 'p') that periodically scans logs for login
> failures via ssh and adds rules to iptables which would require a
> stop/start of iptables rules?

Nah, nothing dynamic at all. Even if it were, this is not a host or even
port level issue... When it is not working, notice nmap shows all other
ports as **closed** (meaning no filtering is happening, meaning iptables
is not even intercepting packets at all), versus when it is working, all
other ports show **filtered** (meaning iptables is grabbing the packets
and doing its thing).

> Craig

~Jay