Sccts guy contradicts RIAA document

Chris Gehlker canyonrat at mac.com
Sun Jan 6 16:14:49 MST 2008

On Jan 6, 2008, at 3:34 PM, Craig White wrote:

> Just to get last out the way first, he is still a journalist. His role
> didn't change in the substantive way that you suggest and nothing in
> the
> definition you provided suggests otherwise.

He wasn't reporting on NPR, he was advocating. It was billed as a
debate and he had an opponent.  You might  want to  read the
definition again. Will you are at it, check out "reporter".

> Seriously though, the music industry (RIAA & patrons) versus the
> people
> is not over, it's obviously barely started because the RIAA is hell
> bent
> on suing their customers because they are committed to a business
> model
> that is failing.

I agree. It's only the debate about whether Fisher mischaracterized
the plaintiff's position in the Howell that is over.

> You (and Patry) seem to be focused on this page 15 and despite the
> fact
> that isn't actually the issue, it's an incomplete picture and I'll
> demonstrate why...

Finally! After all this time you seem to be able to focus in on the
only issue I ever raised. After all the accusations that I was taking
the RIAA's side in general is the truth starting to sink in?

> If nothing else, the NPR radio show proved definitively that author
> Fisher's article was correct in its assertion, you may have
> liability if
> you store digital copies of music on your hard drive even if they are
> copies of CD's that you legally own. NPR's answer, just to refresh
> your
> memory..."We have never pursued anyone for having a digital copy of
> music taken from CD's that they own"

Of course it didn't prove anything of the kind. It only showed that
the RIAA will not unambiguously acknowledge that right. We knew that
already. The Howell case added *nothing* new.

Something strikes me as odd abbot this whole thread. You seem
incapable of acknowledging that we ever loose a PR battle to the RIAA
and yet you seem to almost despair about the long term. I, on the
other hand, have no problem admitting it when the RIAA kicks our butts
in some particular battle in the PR sphere but I  am very optimistic
that  we are going to win[1] in the long run.

[1] By 'win' I mean there will be significant reform in IP law.
--
Seven Deadly Sins? I thought it was a to-do list!