Sccts guy contradicts RIAA document

Chris Gehlker canyonrat at mac.com
Sat Jan 5 22:27:50 MST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008, at 7:40 PM, der.hans wrote:

> Am 04. Jan, 2008 schwätzte Chris Gehlker so:
>
>> Your characterization of the plaintiff's position and Howell's is
>> accurate as far as it goes but it still completely misses the point.
>> Fisher concluded, in the teeth of the evidence, that the RIAA was
>> suing Howell for merely ripping files regardless of whether he shared
>> them or not. He  published an inaccurate and sensationalized piece
>
> Was it inaccurate?

Absolutely. Your argument below really rests on:

"If $Defendant_made_electronic_copies is not required for setting
$songs_are_no_longer_authorized_copies it should not be in the test."

But Fisher die not elide the condition before the "and" from the
quote: he elided the part about the files being in the shared folder.
So by your argument the part he elided is the *most* meaningful part.
He left in the part about wearing purple and left out the part about
shooting the president. He then warned all the people who like purple
that the FBI and the Secret Service were out to get them.

The second  problem with your argument is that copyright is,
interestingly, all about the right to make copies. If you don't make a
copy, you can't conceivably have violated anyones copyright. But the
converse is not always true. There is a bunch of law, both case law
and explicit law, that lays out situations under which you can make a
copy without violating copyright. For archival purposes, for personal
use, for purposes of criticism or parody are some permitted uses that
come to mind. So the RIAA really does have to assert both that Howell
made copies and that he didn't make them for some permitted reason
such as listening to them on his iPod.

Neither you nor I nor anyone on this list is the target of the RIAA's
PR campaign. We are never going to support the politicians that they
have in their pockets and they are never going to allow a Linux user
to sit on the jury for one off their cases. To understand the damage
that Fisher has  done us you have to put yourself in the frame of mind
of  a typical NPR user: fairly bright and curious but almost
completely uniformed about IP issues and with little knowledge of big
media. Then, in that mind-frame, listen to the audio file of the
debate. If you can do that, I'm sure you will see that Fisher did
indeed do us harm. If you can't do that, nothing I say will persuade
you.

> [...]
> authorized copies distributed by the Plaintiffs."
>
> if
> ($
> Defendant_converted_Plaintiffs
> '_recording_into_the_compressed_.mp3_format &&
> $they_are_in_his_shared_folder) {
>
> $
> they_are_no_longer_the_authorized_copies_distributed_by_the_Plaintiffs
> = 'yes';
> }
>
> I'm going to rewrite that with shorter variables to make it more
> readable.
>
> if( $Defendant_made_electronic_copies &&
> $songs_were_in_shared_folder ) {
> 	$songs_are_no_longer_authorized_copies = 'yes';
> }
>
> If $Defendant_made_electronic_copies is not required for setting
> $songs_are_no_longer_authorized_copies it should not be in the test.
>
> We can view this as a grammatical error.
>
> We can also view this as a deliberate attempt to get converting
> music to
> electronic formats to be illegal.
>
> Since the test appears to be in a function called
> demonstrate_Defendant_converted_the_songs_to_mp3() I find it likely
> that
> the test was built as intended.
>
> Moreover, lawyers are supposed to not make logic mistakes like that.
> Has
> Atlantic or the RIAA actually admitted that the test was incorrect?
>
> Which holds more legal standing, legal documents approved and upheld
> by
> the courts or what the president of the RIAA says on a radio show?
>
> Now, what's the overall result of all of this controversy?
>
> 1. The RIAA has publicly stated, though not fully, that it is legal to
> make electronic copies of copyrighted materials for personal use.
>
> 2. Generally the public is more aware of the RIAA's actions suing
> individuals.
>
> 3. The RIAA has two instances in court documents indicating that
> making
> copies for personal use is illegal.
>
> Time will tell if item 1 or item 3 has more influence on the future of
> fair use...
>
> http://www.DefendFairUse.org/
>
> We still don't have legal precedent showing space shifting is legal.
> We
> might actually have two instances of precendent claiming space
> shifting is
> not legal.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --
> #  https://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.CiscoLearning.org/
> #  To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or
> that we
> #  are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only
> unpatriotic
> #  and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
> #  -- Theodore Roosevelt, editorial in the Kansas City Star, 07May1918

A young idea is a beautiful and a fragile thing. Attack people, not
ideas.