Off-Topic: Looking for Hardware Recommendations

Technomage-hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 19:41:10 MST 2008

On Friday 04 January 2008 15:36, Mark Phillips wrote:

> Also, any suggestions on a way to run both the Windows game machine and
> Linux homework machine off one mouse/keyboard/monitor in daughter #1's
> room would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
>
> Mark
are we talking the old socket 478 P4's or something newer (in the 979 pins
regime)?

also, it appears that relatively new machines can be purchased for cheap (if
you don't mind doing business with walmart).

btw, if you want a machine for gaming, I suggest the following hardware:

AMD X86_64 Dual Core CPU
ASUS Nforce4 based Motherboard
250 GB (or more) HD
DVD Rom
Nvidia 8800 GTS video card
4 GB ram

The video and motherboard/cpu are probably the most expensive of the lot. if
you are going to play WoW on it, you will need that level of hardware
(otherwise, it'll just be laggy and not at all pleasurable to play).

I use my machine this way: linux hosting vmware server (wherein I run a BSD
based firewall (session 1), linux DNS/DHCP/privoxy/tor (session 2), windows
vista (session 3) and any other vmware sessions on an itinerant basis
(including Mac OS X 10.4.x). you can do the vmware server thing in windows.
you will need at LEAST 4 GB of ram (more recommended). On that, you can host
a linux session that can be connected remotely (multiple people sharing the
same hardware).

its a little more costly, but it works (I know, the sum total of my machine
here was just under $1,000 and it works very well for me).

anyway, does anyone happen to have a prior model motherboard that supports the
intel P4 HT FSB 800 Mhz CPU (I have the cpu, need the board for it).