Off-Topic: Looking for Hardware Recommendations

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Jan 4 15:36:50 MST 2008

My daughters use Linux for all their school work, and they dual boot
into Windows when they wants to play their games. I have tried to get
their games to work with Wine, but no such luck. One daughter uses the
same computer from a remote X desktop for her school work. However,
daughter #1 has become addicted to World of Warcraft (another issue that
I need to deal with...;-) ), so daughter #2 is having trouble getting
Linux time on their shared computer. My Solution - set up a Windows
gaming computer and stop dual booting. I also need a Windows machine for
some work-related applications, which I currently have running a a P2
using remote desktop. So, I am looking for hardware suggestions for a
modest Windows gaming computer. Here are my thoughts - I would be
interested in yours.

A Dell Optiplex GX270, P4, 40GB HD, 512 MB RAM Windows XP PRo. I can get
a refurbished one for about $250. Another 512 MB RAM is about $40. They
are now using an Optiplex GX260 to dual boot, and it seems to work well.
My budget is about $300-$350 all in using a shared
monitor/keyboard/mouse.

Should I be looking at a dual core type machine? Other processors? I
know very little about the dual core processors or other types. I worry
more about Linux compatibility so I have stuck with P4s. Or, should I
look at a dual core processor to upgrade the Linux box (why give all the
new stuff to Windows??? ;-)) and use the existing P4 for Windows games?
What used machines (brands/models) should I be looking at? I have had
great luck with Dell refurbished machines from uBid and Dell, so I am a
little partial to them.

Also, any suggestions on a way to run both the Windows game machine and
Linux homework machine off one mouse/keyboard/monitor in daughter #1's
room would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Mark