Common bash aliases

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Jan 3 20:43:40 MST 2008

From: "Jared Anderson" <jared at thegoldenedge.com>
> On 1/3/08, Stephen P Rufle <stephen.p.rufle at cox.net> wrote:
> > alias ls='ls -aF --color=always'
> > alias ll='ls -l'
> > alias ..='cd ..'
> > alias ...='cd ../..'
> > The first 2 and the last 2 I have seen used by Matt G while helping me
> > at my house. I would like to know what are other people's favorites.

I can't take credit for .. and ... .  SuSE set those up automagically in
the 6.x and 7.x days, and I've kept them out of habit.  They're still
useful enough that I tend to add them to ~/.alias on any machine where
I have an account.

> alias rm='rm -i'
> alias cp='cp -i'
> alias mv='mv -i'

touch ./-f
# The alias won't save you then, eh?

> alias vi='vim'

Preach on.

> alias ps='ps x'

alias pm='ps auxw | more' # gotta see everything running

More stuff:

alias cda='cd /var/www/localhost/htdocs'
alias cdl='cd /var/log/apache2'
alias cdp='cd /home/mhgraham/public_html'
alias cds='cd /var/spool/slrnpull/news'
# directories that get used fairly often, modify for
# your needs.
alias cur='sed -e "s/000$/ MHz/" < /sys/devices/system/
cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq'
# for some reason, sometimes cpufreqd decides to run the
# CPU at max speed even though the load is 0.01.  This
# alias lets me see if that's happening.
alias slrnpull='slrnpull -d /var/spool/slrnpull -h news.individual.net'
# Usenet is not dead as long as I have a Net drop.