Common bash aliases

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Jan 3 17:15:47 MST 2008

> > alias ls='ls -aF --color=always'

I commonly run "unalias ls" because in some environments I work in, the
consoles make it hard to read directory listings in many colors.

> alias rm='rm -i'
> alias cp='cp -i'
> alias mv='mv -i'

When adding to your Tips document, be sure to add a comment that many do
not like this forced confirmation prompting. It may cause bad habits --
where the admin assumes that will be prompted for confirmation before
unlinking, overwriting, or renaming files -- which is not true using
default rm, cp, and mv. As for me, I very frequently run "unalias" for
these.