Jan topics?

DarkElf109 DarkElf109 at ibendit.com
Thu Jan 3 16:27:49 MST 2008

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 03:55:19 -0700 (MST), "der.hans" <PLUGd at LuftHans.com>
wrote:
> moin moin,
>
> for years we've been exploring alternative technologies to kick off the
> new year.
>
> This year I was thinking about either alternative platforms or
alternative
> infrastructures.
>
> Alternative platforms would cover Free Software on platforms that aren't
> Free Software, such as m$, mac, Solaris, etc.
>
> *BSD is Free Software and we're generally open to *BSD content, but it
> doesn't come up that much, so we could also include *BSD if we want.

On the alternative platforms note, Mac users can use Fink [0] and
DarwinPorts [1] to get binary and/or compiled open source programs. If
there's interest, I could probably do a short demo on them at the West side
meeting (no guarantees for East side). It probably won't be more than 15 or
20 minutes, since it's not a terribly deep topic, but it's good for people
who don't know it's there.

[0] http://www.finkproject.org/
[1] http://darwinports.com/

-David Bendit