Sccts guy contradicts RIAA document

Chris Gehlker canyonrat at mac.com
Thu Jan 3 08:54:40 MST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008, at 12:43 AM, der.hans wrote:

> The reason I mentioned it on list is because the guy being sued made
> the
> claim that he didn't intentionally share any music, which
> contradicts the
> document from the Atlantic's lawyer.
>
> The section C of the document from Atlantic's lawyer starts off with
> "It
> is undisputed that Defendant..." Well, he just disputed it.

Not really. I think the relevant quote is in part E:
"In sum, it is undisputed that Defendant intentionally uploaded
digital music files to his computer, and that those files were being
distributed to other KaZaA users without Plaintiffs’ permission in
violation of the Copyright Act.  Defendant’s bald assertion that he
did not realize these sound recordings were being distributed from his
KaZaA shared folder to other KaZaA users is both belied by the facts
and irrelevant under the law."

So there is an actual issue in dispute as to whether Howell *knew* he
was distributing music files.
--
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a
proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and