Need Help with APT

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Jan 2 11:11:34 MST 2008

I am running:
Linux version 2.6.21-2-686 (Debian 2.6.21-6) (waldi at debian.org) (gcc
version 4.1.3 20070629 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.2-13))

I ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and am running into these
errors that I cannot fix:

hammerhead:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
  e2fsprogs: PreDepends: e2fslibs (= 1.40.2-1) but 1.40.2-1+lenny1 is
installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

So, I ran:
hammerhead:~# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies...Done
required:
  zope2.9 zope2.10 zope-common
  e2fsprogs zope2.9
Suggested packages:
  gpart parted e2fsck-static python-unit
  e2fsprogs zope2.9
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 508 not upgraded.
6 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/7531kB of archives.
After unpacking 57.3kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

The Y option results in lots of error messages of the type:

file does not exist: /usr/lib/zope2.9/lib/python/Zope.py

and then:

pycentral: pycentral pkginstall: error byte-compiling files (3358)
pycentral pkginstall: error byte-compiling files (3358)
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/zope2.9_2.9.8-2_i386.deb

When I tried the autoremove option suggested initially nothing changes -
I get the same messages as apt-get upgrade above.

It seems that zope2.9, zope2.10, and zope-common have been removed from
my system, but apt doesn't know that. How do I tell apt that these have
been removed from the system and to stop trying to upgrade/install/
them, so I can get the upgraded version of e2fsprog installed?

Thanks!

Mark