Cinelerra question

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Wed Jan 2 05:40:23 MST 2008

Ed wrote:
> [...]
>> format.
>>
>> You can find the appropriate flags to feed transcode simply be getting
>> the information from VLC. Play the file and while its running go to:
>> "View" -> "Stream and Media Info" -> "Advanced Information". That
>> should tell you everything you need to know. You may also find this
>> under the file "properties" in your file browser depending on your
>> desktop/distro of choice. I know under Nautilus I can see the same
>> info by right clicking on the file and selecting "properties".
>>

>> On Dec 31, 2007 2:55 PM, Vaughn Treude <vltreude at deru.com> wrote:
>>> Erich,
>>> I hate to bug you again, but I'm severely frustrated.  I've tried about
>>> 8 different encoder programs.  Most work to some degree.  I've decided
>>> that Cinelerra (the version I have) is still is piece of garbage that
>>> works sporadically if at all.  I haven't yet figured out how to get
>>> Cinelerra-CV on the old (2005) distro I'm using, and I don't have time
>>> to attempt an upgrade at the moment.  And I'm puzzled by KDEnlive, which
>>> seems to want yet another format.  So I still have hope for Kino.  But I
>>> don't know how to produce a proper DV file.  Can DV files be in
>>> different container formats, such as MOV and AVI?  If so, I can't figure
>>> out which coded to use.  Wikipedia says DV uses DCT encoding, but the
>>> names of codecs seem to bear little if any resemblance to the names of
>>> the format?  If you know what codecs (audio and video) I should use, I'd
>>> be eternally grateful.  If not, I'll quit bugging you.  Thanks again!
>>> Vaughn

> Hi Vaughn - you're going to hate me...
>
> 1) rename copies of the files you want to work with into the
> alphabetic sequence you want.
> 2) burn & boot the elive CD - launch Cinelerra, cut and past the
> kernel fix from the error box and relaunch Cinelerra.*
> 3) add the files to your project resources - one of the defaults is to
> import a bunch of files and concatenates them into one big video/audio
> project.
> 4) learn to navigate Cinelerra - working in the top row of the lower
> left box**, place intron and outrons (not the real names) about the
> bit you want to cut - hit delete button. If the next one isn't
> adjacent, make sure you toggle off the inton/outron things. repeat
> until you ... stuff you do in the main timeline will affect the video
> & audio streams beneath it.
> 5) render the new piece with the same format as the resources - it is
> an option and might just work.
> 6) log out & reboot into normal space - find fixed video.
> 7) Cinelerra often notes that Kino is good for capture/pre/post
> maipulation. DIV is like default video format and pay attention to
> video/audio sync - the way it is in edit isn't always how render
> finishes your work. don't panic - render.
>
> *ps Elive doesn't like you playing around as root - and there was
> something about getting root.. try elive as the passwd.

Hmm, yes, I was hoping to avoid having to reboot the system to do
editing, but that would get around the fact of my Mandriva 2005 being a
bit outdated, so I will probably try that.  (Eventually I'll have to
update that.)  Part of the problem is that I'm finding the codec-
versus-container issue rather confusing.  I mess with audio files a lot,
and I use mostly command-line tools for that.  I'd very much like to
made something that would simply "extract from frame X to frame Y."  So
far the closest I've found is avisplit, which splits a video file into
equal pieces.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Vaughn