What the RIAA really said.

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 21:30:58 MST 2008

On 1/1/08, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 21:00 -0700, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
> > Just wondering Craig, do you have some kind of personal stake in
> > these matters?  Are you a lawyer?  do you represent some group?  Or
> > are you just really into this issue?
> >
> >    seems like you're putting a lot of effort into this.
> ----
> I own 600+ CD's (I lost count).
>
> It sucks that I can buy many/most DVD's for the same or less money than
> I can buy a CD.
>
> I have several iPods and I listen to them.
>
> I adamantly refuse to purchase from iTunes store (DRM or no) - it's just
> another middleman in the chain...but hey, I go to Borders instead of
> buying from Amazon (most of the time anyway, computer books excepted
> because Borders doesn't discount the computer books).
>
> I have a serious distaste for corporations who use attorneys to
> financially harass/destroy citizens.
>
> I represent no one but myself, I am into the issue. No personal stake,
> except that perhaps I used to live just 3 or 4 blocks from the
> defendants (don't know them).

  ah, I see.

  well I tend to divide 'activism' into distinct stages:

   1.  Spleen Venting

   2.  Interest Group Forming

   3.  Lobbying, calling Congressmen, etc.

   4.  Legal Action

  I think at this point, that you've established that the corporations
are bastards.  Time to progress to stage II.  Honestly, I think a lot
more of our complaints would be heard and acted upon if we stopped
being so obsessed with looking intelligent in email and perhaps
organize a bit?  I am not really referring to you, but to the 'tech'
community in general.  I believe it was Kim Berry from the Programmers
Guild who said, "Organizing programmers is like herding cats" (Kim
sorry if that wasn't you!).

  -jmz