What the RIAA really said.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Jan 1 17:16:04 MST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 15:04 -0700, Chris Gehlker wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2008, at 12:20 PM, Craig White wrote:
>
> > not really...it's obvious that kazaa thinks that all folders are
> > shared
> > folders and links in folders like 'My Music' automatically.
> >
> > you can easily observe the process for yourself even without Kazaa -
> > which is why I referrenced both Amarok and Picasa
>

> I still think you're making this way to complicated. I am not a Kazaa
> user and my use of Amarok didn't give me any insight into how Kazaa
> works. I'll take your word for it that it is possible to share files
> inadvertently with Kazaa but this is *not* what the RIAA is asserting
> Howell did. According to the article, they say he deliberately put
> songs ripped from CDs into his Kazaa shared folder.
----
if you have forgotten how amarok scoured your hard drive looking for
music files, simply quit all instances of the program and
'mv .kde/share/apps/amarok/ .kde/share/apps/amarok-bak'
and then restart amarok - you will see it find music files wherever they
are.

The point is that on a Windows system, files in 'My Music' are
automatically discovered by virtually every application that is looking
for music files. I believe that if you search through the information,
you will find that this is the defendant's position.

Without having ever installed kazaa or ever even see the program
operate, I am quite certain that it would automatically assume files in
a users profile in a folder called 'My Music' (Windows computer) would
automatically be discovered and shared. Thus the statement of a
deliberate act of placing them in a shared folder is an allegation whose
foundation is suspect. When one considers that all available folders are
searched/shared automatically, just having the files on the computer
would in the eyes of RIAA constitute the very deliberate act.

Craig