What the RIAA really said.

Chris Gehlker canyonrat at mac.com
Tue Jan 1 12:14:51 MST 2008

On Jan 1, 2008, at 11:33 AM, Craig White wrote:

> I think we covered that pretty well in our own discussion...simply
> put,
> all folders are considered shared folders.
>
> Try installing a program like Google's Picasa on your computer. It
> will
> scour your entire filesystem for graphic images.
>
> Try installing a program like say Amarok. It will scour your entire
> filesystem for music files.
>
> As Hans alluded to, just the mere presence of samba/ftp/http/ssh
> provides file sharing protocols which for all purposes makes all files
> on a computer accessible once the computer is powered up.
>
> The whole point is that the RIAA is attempting to make the point
> that if
> the files are accessible, the process of say ripping a CD to your hard
> drive is an illegal act, regardless of your intent simply because the
> files are accessible.

But that's not what the article says. The relevant quote is "the RIAA
is claiming that Howell not only ripped his CDs but also put them in
his shared folder in Kazaa, thus making them available for worldwide
distribution." The phrase "in Kazaa" is critical here.
--
A young idea is a beautiful and a fragile thing. Attack people, not
ideas.