Confrontation and bickering (Was: Re: chix finder)

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Tue Feb 26 06:35:39 MST 2008

Kevin Brown wrote:
>> what part of this do you not understand?
>
> I'm sorry to say this, but the rising confrontational attitudes of a
> number of posters to this group is making reading this list no longer an
> enjoyable thing for me.  I've been on this list for 13 years and it has
> never been as bad as it is now.  So, with that, I bid farewell to this
> group.

Disagreements happen.  Strong disagreements happen.  Confrontation and
bickering should not, at least not in this list.  I agree with Kevin
that lately the tenor of this list has changed.  I don't agree that
abandoning the group is the solution.

A few weeks ago we saw Jeremy and Darrin say goodbye.  Two very
knowledgeable voices, especially of all things BSD.  Now Kevin, one of
the original founders of the group, the one who created the PLUG member
map (http://plug.phoenix.az.us/membermap/), has now left.  There is, in
my opinion, no worse condemnation of recent behavior on this list than
the loss of good people.  We drove them away.

We discussed some of this is the thread about a separate off-topic email
list.  Do we need a separate list for arguing too?  The group is only as
good as its members contribute.  That is how it should be, each of us
with the power and freedom to directly effect the whole rather than some
sort of hierarchy.  With such freedom comes responsibility for civil
behavior.  If not, the group will continue to be diminished through
needless offense taken and given.

Alan