OT: (is this OT?) ["Tempe ... isn't alone"] www.computerworld.com on municipal wifi woes

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 11:28:55 MST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Mike Schwartz <schwartz at acm.org> wrote:

>  [4]   "[...] the municipal Wi-Fi market isn't dying. [...] But, [...]
>  "taxpayers have lost so far." "

>  --
>  Mike Schwartz

  as I've noted on this list before, Muni Wifi was pronounced dead
before it was ever even born.  'Taxpayers have lost so far'?  And how
many complaints do we get on this list about COX service?  The last
thing the telcos want is a network owned by a regional municipality,
and the last thing they want is a low-cost budget option for people
who neither want or need a high-speed connection.

  given that at this point we *know* that the government is tapping
all internet communications, don't you think that various agencies may
have played a role in making sure ownership of US national network
infrastructure is centralized?

   - http://www.joshuazeidner.com/