Ubuntu Package Management Issues

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Feb 25 00:42:32 MST 2008

Am 24. Feb, 2008 schwätzte Patrick C so:

moin moin,

> First, some output.
>
> pxc at cooldude:~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall kate
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reinstallation of kate is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.

As Kristian already pointed out, make sure to update your package cache
if you've changed your sources. You can use the update option to either
apt-get or aptitude.

> The problem, if it's not already clear, is that the package manager wants to
> download some packages from a repository I have (intentionally) removed. I
> need to be able to search through my packages for any containing "ppa" in
> the package version, and replace them with an older one. How can I do this?
> (How can I make Kubuntu stop thinking that those packages are to be
> downloaded from the ppa repository!?)

You can pin the ppa repository between 1 and 100 and the other
repositories over 1000.

man apt_preferences

This is really old and somewhat out of date, but I like how I described
things :).

http://www.LuftHans.com/unix/docs/HOWTO/cafod.txt

ciao,

der.hans
#  "It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."
#   -- Albert Einstein