Live USB/Persistent USB Installs

Patrick C patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 20:08:23 MST 2008

Cool. I tried to do it to my iPod earlier, but my iPod has a weird block
size (2048 as opposed to 512). Not a huge deal, but it causes all
libparted-based installers, including that of Ubuntu & co. to choke.

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Kristian Erik Hermansen <
kristian.hermansen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Patrick C <patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >  I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with installing
> > Linux-based OSs to USB. A friend of mine is attempting it, but
> > understandably struggling (he's not very much a Linux guy, at least not
> yet)
> > with Ubuntu. As far as I can tell, there's no real standard way of doing
> it
> > (it varies across distribution, and most distributions don't have some
> > standard for installing to external HDD/USB). I'm in the middle of
> setting
> > one up right now, but it just duplicates the functionality of a
> (remastered)
> > (X)ubuntu LiveCD, and I'd prefer something persistent. If I'm not
> satisfied
> > with this, I'll just try to rig something up on my own, but I was
> wondering
> > if you folks had any advice/wisdom for me, first.
>
> I've done it and it works great.  Just set your installation
> destination to the USB media, and that's it!  It's just like a disk...
> --
> Kristian Erik Hermansen
> --
> "It has been just so in all my inventions. The first step is an
> intuition--and comes with a burst, then difficulties arise. This thing
> gives out and then that--'Bugs'--as such little faults and
> difficulties are called--show themselves and months of anxious
> watching, study and labor are requisite before commercial success--or
> failure--is certainly reached" -- Thomas Edison in a letter to
> Theodore Puskas on November 18, 1878

Amarok: Rediscover your music.
-- http://amarok.kde.org

Sabayon Linux: Cutting Gentoo's edge.