Encryption and Distro Hopping

Marc chip33az at netscape.net
Fri Feb 22 10:04:13 MST 2008

When I moved into an apartment last October, I looked around for distros
that did total drive encryption (basically Debian and Ubuntu).  I read
the article, but since I power off my machine when not using it, I don't
feel too worried about someone cracking it.

I installed Gutsy on the machine, but haven't really been too happy with
it.  I seem to encounter my share of bugs in it.  I guess I'm a little
bitter about my TV server at the house that won't connect to an
externally mounted NTFS partition.  I found a bug report and it
basically said it would be fixed in the next release.  That just sounds
wrong.

Anyway, I see that Fedora 9 is coming out and it does offer full drive
encryption.  I haven't used Fedora in years and was curious if people
have any comments about it?

I really like Mandriva as it is quick, easy to set up, but they don't
offer drive encryption yet.  They have a bug report, but nothing will
happen in the near future.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, just want some ideas.

My requirements for the distro.

1.  Drive encryption - must.  To backup my important files I use a thumb
drive encrypted with Truecrypt.
2.  Truecrypt - must.  With the release of version 5, it looks like this
is easier than ever to use under Linux.
3.  MythTV - must.  Since I'm running MythDora, I assume this wouldn't
be difficult.
4.  ProjectX/Java/Avidemux - To clean up and burn recorded shows that I
like.

I have the Fedora 9 live CD, but several of the extra packages aren't
ready yet.  I'm just curious how people feel about existing Fedora
computers.

Thanks.  I hope I don't start anything horrible.