Disk encryption may not be secure enough, new research finds

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Thu Feb 21 23:34:14 MST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 15:48 -0700, Stephen P Rufle wrote:
> http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9876060-38.html?tag=nefd.lede
>
> In Linux would an effective counter to this type of attack be scrabbled
> the RAM on shutdown? I also am not sure if the people that steal laptops
> would have the skills to do what the researchers are doing.

No, because when shutting down there is no issue.  The concern here is
suspend and hibernate.  If you are very worried about security,
hibernate is probably not a great idea.  Suspend, unless you're keeping
something from the NSA I wouldn't worry too much.  It's kinda like GPG
keys over a couple thousand bits today, sure the NSA can probably crack
them if they wanted, but are YOU important enough to fill out all that
paperwork?

		--Ted