Where do I start? VPN

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Feb 20 12:32:51 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Mike Bydalek wrote:
> Wayne Davis wrote:
> > I need to setup a VPN between my home network and my portable that uses
> > a Sprint Aircard.  I've never done this and have no idea how to proceed.
> > It SEEMS that VPN's only work between 2 static sites, but I know that
> > cannot be correct.

Nope.  It is *much* easier if one end of the connection (probably the
non-portable system) is reachable without hassle, so look into dyndns.org or
a similar service if your non-portable system uses DHCP.  If you have a
static IP, no worries.

> > On the local side, I use a monowall appliance on cox broadband, and it
> > will a Kubuntu box that I want to see the most. On the portable side, it
> > will be both Kubuntu and XP.  I have identified that here in Phoenix,
> > the aircard can use 6 possible Ip blocks.
> Look at OpenVPN.  I use it for all my VPN needs as it's pretty straight
> forward.

OpenVPN is pretty easy to set up as these things go.  I had no problems
setting it up and using it, at least.  Read the docs before starting, though.
Usually, the TUN/TAP stuff is already ready to go and needs to be modprobed,
but you might need to compile those modules if you're using a custom kernel.

--
   You don't change the way people think by changing what they
   say. You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES