Proposal: new "plug-offtopic" email list [ linux related to phpBB2 ]

Technomage-hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 11:33:42 MST 2008

On Thursday 14 February 2008 06:19, Shawn Badger wrote:
> Other than the emails about politics which could be considered spam at
> least by me, I can't remember the last time I saw spam on the plug mailing
> list. Maybe it is just me though.

I wasn't specifically complaining about *this* list. There are a lot of other
lists that I have been seeing bounces from lately (and none of them I am
subscribed to). it seems my e-mail got harvested and someone has been using
it as a "return envelope" address.

unfortunately, just about all listserv software bounces back to the given
return address.

it seems that those folks that manage listserv's have never bothered with any
kind of spam administration (spamd and others). I have contacted several of
the admins on some of these lists and been told that they let the package
deal with spam (IOW, it bounces back to the "victim" <in this case ME> and
said victim has to deal with the mess.).

now, politics that has relevance to linux or freedom of choice (in your use of
OS) is never off topic (IMHO). the healthcare debacle we just went through
wasn't specifically on topic, but it did provide a barometer of who was alive
on this list <evil grin>.

anyway. thats my beef with listserv admins who don't pay attention or do their
jobs (and its one of the reasons I have been seeing 400 "backscatter spams" a
day for the last week!).

TMH