Stammtische this Tues

Erich Newell erich.newell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 09:47:38 MST 2008

Something I've been curious about ever since I visited Tuebingen a couple
years back: What is the etiquette involved with "getting invited" to be part
of a Stammtisch?

Hans? Any insights here?

Ours is focused around a specific topical group, but its my understanding
that those in brew halls are more or less intended for regulars who are
there all the time and like to talk about whatever.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Charles Jones <
charles.jones at ciscolearning.org> wrote:

>  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Stammtische
> "*Stammtische is the plural of the German word Stammtisch.
>       A Stammtisch is a regular table where a regular group of
>       people meet to drink & eat."
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Stammtisch
>
> " <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Stammtisch>*Literally speaking, the word Stammtisch is a table in a bar or
> restaurant which is reserved for the same guests at the same time every
> day or every week. There is usually a sign on the table saying
> "Stammtisch". If you don't belong to this table, don't attempt to sit
> there! In the most traditional German beer halls there is a large brass
> plaque above the table with the word Stammtisch printed on it in bold
> lettering."
>

> Matt Graham wrote:
>
> From: storkus at storkus.com
>
>  Ok, I know this is probably the stupidest question ever brought up here,
> but... What, exactly, is a "Stammtische"?  A *fest, hoe-down, or what?
>

>  I think it means "reserved table".  (Tische = table.)  We reserve a
> table, sit down at it, eat, drink, and talk about $TOPIC.

"A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes about
finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes through life."