New Linux user training?

Erich Newell erich.newell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 07:37:37 MST 2008

TY for the FYI. I (hope) will never use a Vista machine, but I'm
certain I will be called upon to help someone else with theirs in the
future and every little tidbit helps.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:10 AM, Charles Jones
<charles.jones at ciscolearning.org> wrote:

>  Tuna wrote:
>  Charles Jones wrote:
>

>  Tuna wrote:
>

>  I went to Best Buy
> and I can't find a damn thing on there! Finding "Notepad" in the Start
> menu is *easily* a two-minute ordeal.
>

>  Don't take this as defending Vista, but just FYI in vista if you don't
> know where something is, you can just click the Windows logo (used to be
> the start button in XP), and in the search bar just type "notepad", and
> it will run notepad for you, and also add a shortcut to it in the
> shortcuts area above the search bar. This also works for things that are
> not programs per-say, like "control panel".
>
> -Charles
>
>  But how friendly is that to new users?
>
> I should be able to get a text editor by clicking whatever shiny menu
> button the GUI offers and then clicking on an option that brings up Kate
> or whatever. Why would you want to click something, then type something,
> then wade through a few items to find something like a text editor?
>
>  Oh I totally agree, like I said it was just FYI for the next time you are
> in BestBuy or are forced to use a Vista machine in the future :)

"A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes
about finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes
through life."