New Linux user training?

Tuna tuna at supertunaman.com
Thu Feb 14 00:59:47 MST 2008

Charles Jones wrote:
> Tuna wrote:
>> I went to Best Buy
>> and I can't find a damn thing on there! Finding "Notepad" in the Start
>> menu is *easily* a two-minute ordeal.
>>
> Don't take this as defending Vista, but just FYI in vista if you don't
> know where something is, you can just click the Windows logo (used to be
> the start button in XP), and in the search bar just type "notepad", and
> it will run notepad for you, and also add a shortcut to it in the
> shortcuts area above the search bar. This also works for things that are
> not programs per-say, like "control panel".
>
> -Charles

But how friendly is that to new users?

I should be able to get a text editor by clicking whatever shiny menu
button the GUI offers and then clicking on an option that brings up Kate
or whatever. Why would you want to click something, then type something,
then wade through a few items to find something like a text editor?