Proposal: new "plug-offtopic" email list [ linux related to phpBB2 ]

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Feb 13 10:00:40 MST 2008

Technomage-hawke wrote:
> has anyone ever looked at the idea of converting to a phpBB style forums here?
> it would have all the news, ontopic and offtopic ares segregated. and if one
> wants to follow a specific forum, they can have the setting made for them to
> be e-mailed of new changes to that forum.
>
> I tend to do this a lot myself because it is easier for me to filter out what
> I need and what is obviously "junk" IMO. Thei is probably one of the first
> and last mailing lists I am on (the first because I joined it at its
> inception, and the last because it is one of the few I still subscribe to).
>
> View this as "just a suggestion" to be discussed.

Years ago I heard repeated calls to setup a web based discussion board
for the list.  Then a PLUGger generously set one up on his own.  It fell
into disuse in about three weeks or so.

Then a few less years ago the suggestion was forwarded again.  It did
not lead to anything, just as this current suggestion has had no response.

Personally, I prefer email discussions over web ones.  There are forums
that can be read and posted via email to make a bridge between the two.
 If we were to do it, that is what I would vote for.

However, online forums also add a problem of administration.  In the
email list, spam control is largely automatic.  My understanding is that
web forums are not as automated.  The admin side of the current PLUG
website, for example, is riddled with attempts to spam the article
comment system.  A web based forum would take more attention.  In a
purely volunteer organization like PLUG, time investment is hard to get
and maintain.

Just my input to the idea.

Alan