Proposal: new "plug-offtopic" email list

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Feb 13 09:51:57 MST 2008

Alan Dayley wrote:
> First, please do not take this as a rebuke of anyone.  I follow and even
> contribute to may of the off topic discussions in the list.  I just
> think we should give them their own home.
>
> Second, I think the social "non-Linux" aspects of the group are
> important.  I know I learn to respect other PLUGgers during Linux
> discussions and wish to tap into their knowledge and friendship for
> other topics from time to time.  I certainly don't want to cut off the
> social side of the group.  It's important.
>
> I propose that we create another email list.  It would be called
> "plug-offtopic" and would be the place for everything not Linux/FS/OSS
> related.  Things in the news, politics not directly related to our
> focus, car problems, whatever could be in that list.  That will maintain
> plug-discuss for Linux/FS/OSS discussions and those of us that want to
> talk tin-foil hats and political blow-hards can track the new list.
>
> I am but one vote making a motion.  Any seconds?

Reading through this thread again and based on a similar discussion in
the PLUG Steering Committee, I am concluding that we will NOT create a
separate email list for off-topic discussions.  Reasons that weakened my
own resolve to push the idea are:

- No clear majority of respondents desiring the change.
- Some like the OT discussions.
- An argument was made in the Steering Committee that, based on
experience, some OT discussions are good for injecting renewed activity
on a list.  The result of strict topic compliance is sometimes the death
of the list.
- This list is really not a high-volume email source compared to many
and so OT is not a big problem to ignore.
- The list is pretty good about self policing already so no reason to
fix what really isn't broken.

I'd like to point out, however, that two important and long-time
contributors to this list have announced their unsubscription due to
recent OT increases.  While some may or may not see that as a problem
since people come and go all the time, we as a group need to be
cognizant of doing our part to maintain the community we enjoy.  Please
self-moderate your posts to add value to our group and support the
purposes of the group: Linux and FS/OSS use.

Thanks for the discussion.

Alan