A wee bit OT: Yahoo! Rejecting Microsoft's Takeover Bid??? Whaaa?!

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Sat Feb 9 21:06:42 MST 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 20:31 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
>
>> Yahoo supports and uses FS/OSS extensively.  It would have an impact on
>> the FS/OSS community as a whole if MS were to get control of all that.
> ----
> I know of their contributions to javascript/css but am not aware of any
> other contributions. Care to enumerate?

A new ad tracker application on a BSD, OSS stack with a reasonable
estimate that Yahoo is probably the third largest user of FS/OSS with
Google and NSA rounding out the three:
http://www.interopnews.com/news/a-microsoft-secret-plan-for-yahoos-open-source.html

A list of FS/OSS software in use at Yahoo:
http://www.windley.com/archives/2005/08/open_source_sof_1.shtml

I do not know specific direct contributions but I assume all these
projects benefit from Yahoo's use.

Alan