5th undersea cable cut!

eculbert eculbert at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 18:26:33 MST 2008

Dragging anything especially an anchor that is from
the bow will help keep a ship turned into the waves
and wind. So that sounds feasible as a reason if the
cable is off the bottom and the bottom is somewhat
uneven so the cable is off the bottom.

I had to do that once before I got a larger motor for
a boat I owned on Roosevelt lake. Just couldn't turn
into the wind..too much sides on the boat for the
smaller motor I had then. The anchor, let out to the
end kept me bow into the wind till the wind laid down
some and I could power into the wind. Both the
anchor's size and the shape plus the friction of all
my line (100 feet) through the water was enough to
hold me bow into the wind. I also tied a sleeping bag
up about 10 feet from the 15 lb anchor and THAT was
probably the sea anchor, er, lake anchor? Worked
anyway for the 'blow' which lowered in intensity about
20 or so minutes and I was able to power up over the
combo and pull it onboard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_anchor

--- Michael Havens <bmike101 at cox.net> wrote:

> "The experts also suggested that the cause of damage
> could have been a ship’s
> anchor that was dragging due to inclement weather
> conditions in the region
> during that particular period. "

Ed/ke7feg

Did I mention, 2/23/07 the FCC dropped all cw (AKA Morse code) testing for any class of license as a ham? Just pass the written and "U's a ham"!! Many sites test online, but you have to go for the real test. $14 for as high as you can climb in one session.