Proposal: new "plug-offtopic" email list

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Thu Feb 7 17:42:33 MST 2008

Not to wet blanket this idea, but this is the chat list and if you
subscribe to this list you should expect 20-40 emails a day :)

If you want to discuss web, dev, or F/OSS you should do it on the lists
designated for that.  If you want live chat you should sue the IRC
channel.  But people post to this list because it is the most active.
In turn it is the most active because people post to it.

Mind you I dump all plug stuff into a folder I check at most twice a
day, and more typically once a week.  So I never see any of the traffic.
You can do this with every email client I know of (Including pine) so if
you like the list, but don't like the traffic, filter it.  Only you have
the power to prevent email forest fires ;)

PLUG Chat

Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is one of the original immediate communication
methods on the internet. The served as a model for the well known "chat
rooms" that came much later. When connected to an IRC channel,
everything you type is propagated to everyone else in the channel. It is
an excellent way to get immediate support or just shoot the breeze
online. On occasion PLUG hosts virtual meetings in the channel.

One of our members maintains an IRC channel for PLUG on the Freenode.
Point your IRC client at:

Server: irc.freenode.net
Port: 6667
Channel: #plugaz

There are several who are there, seemingly, 24/7. Remember that it is
possible that the people connected in the channel may not actually be at
their computer. Be patient waiting for a response. If you have specific
needs to be addressed, it can be more productive to request help in the
email list to meet in the channel at a specific time.

Discussion List:
This mailing list is used to ask or answer questions, and talk about
Linux stuff. It is by far the most used list and a major communication
channel for the group. You can usually expect between 20-40 emails per
day from this list. Subscribe or Unsubscribe by going to:

Development List:
This list is for members who are interested in learning about
programming. It also will have announcements about the monthly PLUG
Developer Meeting. It is low volume with about 12 emails per month. To
subscribe/unsubscribe, go to:

Web Site Development List:
This list is for members who are interested web site development topics
and/or in helping with the PLUG web site. It is low volume with about 12
emails a month. To subscribe/unsubscribe go to:

Applications List:
This list is for discussions about use and features of any Free Software
or Open Source Software application. It does not matter what operating
system it runs on, if the application is FS/OSS, this is the place for
discussion and support. It is fairly new and very low volume but we hope
the number of users will grow. To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to: