max filesize on ext3?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Feb 7 16:37:48 MST 2008

From: alex at crackpot.org
> What is the maximum filesize on ext3 (64-bit)?  I can't find a clear
> answer after doing some searches.  I seem to remember it's quite
> large, but if someone can point me at a link that'd be really helpful.

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ext2.txt , about line 310 or so.

> I have read it's dependent on the block size of the underlying device.
>   How can I determine that?

It's 4K unless something really weird has happened or you forced a
different size with mke2fs.  That means the largest file you can have
on an ext3 filesystem is 2048G right now.  That *should* be enough,
unless you're doing some really hairy things.