Proposal: new "plug-offtopic" email list

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Thu Feb 7 14:13:58 MST 2008

Josef Lowder wrote:
> I don't think there is any need for a separate plug "off-topic"
> list.  Imho, all that is needed is to encourage everyone to make
> sure that there is an "OT:" in the subject line for off topic
> discussions.  Then it is easy to just create a filter that sends
> all items with "OT:" in the subject to a separate folder, either
> to "trash" or to a folder named "OT."
I agree with this. It's common etiquette to use the OT: prefix,
including on forums that do not have a General Discussion or OT area. I
don't think OT posts happen so often as there would be much of them,
they seem to happen in spurts when there is something big or interesting
that happens, like these recent cable cuts.  I'm sure if we invaded
another country, or suddenly pulled out of Iraq, someone would want to
share their thoughts on the matter. I think most people post OT things
because they want to bounce ideas off of other intelligent people that
they know are on the list.

Note that I myself am guilty of not using the OT prefix, but I would
gladly keep in mind to use it from now on, rather than have to subscribe
to another list and fuss at (or be fussed at) folks to move their
discussions to another area.

Personally, I will not filter OT posts, because I am usually interested
in what other intelligent people have to say, even if it is off topic,
it is WAY more readable than true "spam".  :)

P.S.  I draw the line at "LOLCAT" posts and such ;-)

-Charles