scp stdin

Kevin Faulkner kondor6c at cox.net
Thu Feb 7 12:25:53 MST 2008

> Then instead of scp, use SSH instead.
You're 100% correct, I'm a dumb-dumb, because I should have known that.

>  xwd -id 0x440000d | ssh 192.168.1.4 "cat > xwd.out"
>
> (Note that the > is in the quotes!)
>
> On my remote system:
>
>  $ file xwd.out
>  xwd.out: XWD X Window Dump image data, "xterm", 484x316x24

Interesting I tried doing it and all I got was this error

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  73 (X_GetImage)
  Serial number of failed request:  1010
  Current serial number in output stream:  1010

I did it both on a Ubuntu machine (remote) and on a Fedora machine
(local), and it came up with the same error.
I added myself with xhost and the display was set. I also gave the
correct window id.
In this case I used xwininfo -name Firefox to get the id of just
Firefox.