Proposal: new "plug-offtopic" email list

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Feb 7 11:49:17 MST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 10:49 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > enforcement is an ugly thing which creates ill feelings and I think you
> > are assuming the good without actually recognizing the bad that will
> > come from it.
> >
> > The issue of OT is more from the lack of traffic of other things and
> > that's not really an issue...this isn't a high volume list.
> >
> > Lastly, the issue of OT is relative - I get accused of being excessively
> > OT because some people don't like my conclusions. I haven't participated
> > in most of the OT topics as of late but that doesn't stop people's
> > impressions.
> >
> > I think the fact that this is not a moderated list and there aren't
> > people who try to shut people down is a positive for the list. Once you
> > try to start shutting off topics/people, you will effectively ruin the
> > list...you just don't want to see it.
>
> Enforcement is too strong of a word, I guess.
>
> This list is not moderated.  I am NOT proposing that it be moderated.
> It is one of the best behaved and best community moderated lists I have
> ever subscribed.  I would expect that the members will police themselves
> for off-topic-ness and the community will remind or teach about it, just
> as we do now.
>
> We have no procedures or policies or desire to create such that have to
> do with banning someone or the like.  I am also NOT proposing any such
> thing.  I'd just expect that requests to move to the off topic list will
> rise more naturally from the group when someone feels the need to educate.
----
list nazi's are the single most destructive force to a mail list

The moment you create another list and then decide that discussion A
doesn't belong on this list and it must be moved to another list is the
day the list nazi's take over.

You are saying as much yourself but you are in denial if you think that
isn't going to happen.

If you create the OT list, no one will subscribe. If you decide that the
only way to move the OT discussions is to tell people to move the
conversation, you in effect sanction list policing.

You are proposing to destroy the list by allowing yourself to think you
are saving it.

Craig