Proposal: new "plug-offtopic" email list

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Feb 7 10:28:53 MST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 10:22 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 09:59 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> >> I propose that we create another email list.  It would be called
> >> "plug-offtopic" and would be the place for everything not Linux/FS/OSS
> >> related.  Things in the news, politics not directly related to our
> >> focus, car problems, whatever could be in that list.  That will maintain
> >> plug-discuss for Linux/FS/OSS discussions and those of us that want to
> >> talk tin-foil hats and political blow-hards can track the new list.
> >>
> >> I am but one vote making a motion.  Any seconds?
> > ----
> > -1
> >
> > no one will subscribe
>
> That is a danger but I disagree for the following reason.
>
> Right now off topic discussions have one resolution: the participants
> "shut up" or go private.  I don't know how many times going private is
> successful but telling people to be quiet when they feel they have
> something worth saying is an off-putting thing.  I for one hold back on
> suggesting these conversations shut down because they have no other
> place to go.
>
> With the creation of an off topic list, the conversations have a place
> to go.  I and maybe others would be more willing to quickly direct off
> topic discussions away from this list knowing they are welcome elsewhere
> in the community.  Those redirected are not asked to "shut up," just to
> change venue.
>
> In other words we will have stronger topic enforcement here while
> welcoming wider topics in the new list.
>
> It will work, I think.
----
enforcement is an ugly thing which creates ill feelings and I think you
are assuming the good without actually recognizing the bad that will
come from it.

The issue of OT is more from the lack of traffic of other things and
that's not really an issue...this isn't a high volume list.

Lastly, the issue of OT is relative - I get accused of being excessively
OT because some people don't like my conclusions. I haven't participated
in most of the OT topics as of late but that doesn't stop people's
impressions.

I think the fact that this is not a moderated list and there aren't
people who try to shut people down is a positive for the list. Once you
try to start shutting off topics/people, you will effectively ruin the
list...you just don't want to see it.

Craig