Weasels

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Tue Feb 5 23:27:59 MST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 20:52 -0500, alexanderhenry at cox.net wrote:
> I rebuke the Ice Weasel.  Just when the beautiful Firefox
> logo gains positive momentum in the minds of computer users,
> Debian calls it a Trademark that they can't include.  I don't
> want an ice weasel, I want my sexy Firefox.

That's a little misleading.  The Mozilla Foundation has stated that you
can't use the Firefox trademark if you make modifications to the
codebase.  They've effectively removed the software freedom if you call
it Firefox.

I agree with Debian's decision.  And I'm excited about the Epiphany with
a webkit backend.

I understand their need to protect their trademark but a more reasonable
policy like "noting the changes in a significant way" or some such would
be more friendly.  It's difficult to find a vectored Firefox logo also,
they only release compiled copies (bitmaps).

		--Ted