MySQL - Bugzilla help

alex at crackpot.org alex at crackpot.org
Tue Feb 5 08:50:47 MST 2008

Quoting Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>:

> On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 16:28 -0700, David wrote:
>> ----- "Bryan O'Neal" <BONeal at cornerstonehome.com> wrote:
>>
>> > My hosts file has only one entry
>> > 127.0.0.1     ip-myip.ip.secureserver.net ip-myip
>> > localhost.secureserver.net localhost.localdomain localhost
>> >

>> Yeah, thats not right.   Change it to:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain  localhost
>> xx.xx.xxx.x   your.real.fqdn   hostname
>>

>> replace the xx's and names as appropriate.
>>
>> It always irked me that redhat did that.  (not bashing.   I prefer
>> RH for a lot of things.  I just
>> don't like that 1 particular thing)
> ----
> that depends upon which tools you use but in reality, it makes little
> difference. It's the same machine and it's more secure if it refers to
> it's own daemons at 127.0.0.1 but I am somewhat anal about these things
> myself and do set it the same way you do.

I don't think this what's causing Bryan's issues, but I will add one
instance where the Red Hat way of doing /etc/hosts really does mess
things up.

If the machine's FQDN is in /etc/hosts as 127.0.0.1, you won't be able
to set up an SSL (https) virtual host in Apache using that server
name.  On startup, Apache will look up your FQDN in /etc/hosts, and it
will start listening for SSL connections on 127.0.0.1, not on your
public IP.

'/usr/sbin/httpd -t -D DUMP_VHOSTS' will show you how Apache has
interpreted your vhost settings, and show you which IPs it's listening
on.  Change /etc/hosts, restart Apache, and it should work.

alex