Dog Food

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Mon Feb 4 11:17:48 MST 2008

I still find such statistics interesting. Sometimes I analyze my server
logs to look at such things, just for kicks.

Some trends I've noticed:

 * Free / Open Source topics get a high percentage of Windows hits in
   addition to some people using Linux or *BSD, but still the vast
   majority of them are using Firefox over IE.

 * I commonly hear Google reported as having 60% search market share,
   yet on my non-geek content pages (restaurant & other totally non-geek
   stuff) I regularly see >85% from Google, with MSN Live Search results
   often showing keywords only vaguely related to actual content.
   Non-geek content also draws almost exclusively Windows/IE hits.

 * BSD-related content draws more BSD hits than Linux-related content
   draws Linux hits, even though *BSD is not as desktop slick as Ubuntu.
   I suspect this is due to BSD people being generally more unix-savvy,
   and therefore have BSD as their desktop more often. That's completely
   a guess of mine.

Has anyone else noticed interesting correlations or trends on their
logs?

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 09:51:48AM -0800, keith smith wrote:
> We have had this discussion may times.
>
> I think most will say that Windows has it's place and Linux has it's place.
>
> I personally use both.  I like Windows XP for my workstation and Linux for a server.
>
> Both serve me well!
>

> storkus at storkus.com wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 21:21:01 -0700, "Craig White"
>  said:
> >
> > We have a lot of Windows users on the PLUG list that aren't eating Linux
> > dog food.
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > Craig
>
> Hey now, Craig!  I'm just stuck using winblows temporarily because it
> came with this laptop.  My other machine has always run Slackware since
> I've owned it, but right now it's sitting idle as I use this all the
> time.  I'm sure a lot of other people are stuck the same way--that is,
> in between having bought a machine with the m$ tax and getting real OS
> installed! :)
>
> I still wonder if Acer will ever refund the m$ tax for N. American users
> like they do for European ones...
>
> Mike

> Keith Smith
> (520) 207-9877
> PHP Programmer

Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |  Daemons in the Desert   |  Global BUG Federation