New Laptop help desired

storkus at storkus.com storkus at storkus.com
Mon Feb 4 01:35:25 MST 2008

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 23:01:10 -0700, "Nathan Aubrey"
<nathan at paysonlinux.org> said:

> Might help with the sound. I bought theHP Pavilion dv6755us instead and
> everything flat out works out of the box. I went to Fry's and they let me
> run
> Kubuntu on a bunch of their laptops till I found one I liked.

WHOA, really?!?  Wow!  Every store I've ever seen has their demo laptops
locked down with a password and won't let you in unless they're watching
you, if at all.  I'll have to remember this!

Of course, the next laptop I buy I'll wait until I have the money and
get one with either no OS or Linux period.
There's a couple of places back in Nevada (both in Carson City, but
different addresses so I don't know if they're related) that are happy
to do just that.  But since I had such a limited budget, I couldn't
afford that route and had to get this Wal-Mart Acer Aspire $600 special
crammed with vista and loads of other junk. (I've already deleted
Norton because it slowed down the machine even more than vista does!)

Speaking of which, when's the next installfest?  I think we'll
git-r-done there! (I need to patch the kernel for
my wireless: AR5007EG which requires a specially-patched MADWiFi
driver.)

Mike

> I really like this laptop now.

I'm sure I'll like mine a lot more when I have Linux working on it and I
no longer need to put up with vista!
Then just get the native Linux version of everything id software
(particularly "Enemy Territory: Quake Wars", which
I'm getting really in to) and Wine for the other crap, and I'm set! :)
(Well, as set as I can be with integrated video, but hey, I'm on a
budget!  The REAL gaming machine has to wait until at least summer...)

> Nathan

Mike