[OT] Network wiring

Ben Francom bfrancom at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 20:11:44 MST 2008

> Anybody on the list do office wiring in Central Phoenix area. I have a
> client that got what I believe to be an overpriced quote ($135 per Cat 6
> drop).

Most places I've contacted over the past few years in the Southwest (CA, AZ,
TX) charged around $100/drop.  Most of these quotes were Cat5e and drop
ceilings.   Were yours (ceilings) drop ceilings, or drywall?  And if
drywall, how accessible is it above to maneuver? I can easily see charging
$135 for drywall drops.

We had our offices wired in 2005 w/ CAT6, (100 drops) and it was $100/drop.
There were nice plentiful catwalks above for the most part, and it was new
construction with no ceilings yet.  We went with the company that was
recommended by a colleague which also happened to be the cheapest bid.  This
turned out to be disastrous because they mislabeled everything, and the job
went over by months.

I heard copper prices are sliding with the lack of construction, so I don't
know how copper prices in 2005 compare with todays prices.

-Ben