Gentoo for Business?

Patrick C patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 19:41:21 MST 2008

I could see Gentoo being useful in business situations where a certain
(probably proprietary) application demands a very specific (and largely
unchanging) group of settings. You could throw Gentoo onto a virtual and
configure it exactly as necessary to run that piece of software, even if you
had to change obscure and dangerous settings, without messing with any other
applications. It would also allow you to have very little extra junk on that
single-app virtual server.

On Jan 30, 2008 2:21 PM, Joshua Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I'm sure Gentoo is loads of fun if you're a hobbiest of some kind,
> but I doubt it will gain any serious traction in the corporate realm.
> So if your goal is marketable skills, Gentoo is clearly not the the
> way to go.  Configurability can sometimes be a minus, as it adds to
> the number of variables that need to be managed = cost++ = ROI--.  If
> anyone knows of any specialty niches for Gentoo in the corporate
> arena, I'd be interested to know.
>
>  -jmz
>

> On 1/30/08, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:
> > From: stu <wien33 at cox.net>
> >
> > The config file management in Gentoo is pretty nice.  The annoying
> > thing is setting up the USE flags properly.  Even with ufed, it takes
> > a while to find all the stuff you need and set it to Y.
> >
> > > I haven't jumped into the Gentoo pool yet, but I'd like to give it a
> try
> > > sometime. I do like the way I can net-install a base Debian system
> then pick
> >
> > > and choose whatever else I want.
> >
> > The thing to do with Gentoo is to read the Gentoo Handbook (how to
> install
> > Gentoo) first.  Print out a copy (if you have a printer) or have another
> > machine available to read the Handbook on while you're installing.  It
> > takes ... 8 to 9 hours to "emerge kde" on a 2200 MHz Athlon with 1G, so
> > do that (or emerge gnome, or whatever) overnight.

Amarok: Rediscover your music.
-- http://amarok.kde.org

Sabayon Linux: Cutting Gentoo's edge.
-- http://www.sabayonlinux.org