How To Measure Linux Proficiency?

Technomage-hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 00:36:37 MST 2008

On Thursday 31 January 2008 15:07, Craig White wrote:
> I think George W Bush has demonstrated the theory of relativism...he has
> an MBA from Harvard. Where does it say that a degree is proof of
> anything?

I know he makes a big fat target, but that is not appropriate for discussion
here.

the point (though vague) is this: does it really prove anything if you are
degreed or not? I have found, in my travels, that a lot of college degreed
people haven't the first damned clue about things out here in the real world
(Like a guy I know in Kansas with a Comp-sci degree and hasn't the first
damned clue about programming in any language???).

Then there are folks like me who actually learned almost all that they know
from being OUT HERE 24/7 (and because we don't have a degree, we get passed
up for hire almost every time). Perhaps its time the private sector start
taking a hard, long (and objective) look at what constitutes real experience
(and base it on real world circumstances). Otherwise, I can predict that We,
as a nation, shall fall by the wayside because our population has become too
dumb to function.

- Eric