How to locate small file consumption creep

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Dec 24 09:14:12 MST 2008

find / -atime +1 # fild all files starting at / accessed 1 day ago.
find / -atime +1 </tmp/fileage # put list of files starting at / into a tmp file called fileage
find . -atime +1 -type f -exec mv {} TMP \; # mv files accessed (in . dirspec) from 1 day to dir TMP

Note differences between atime, ctime and mtime:

"-atime/-ctime/-mtime"
	[+|-]n

	Specify selection of the files based on  three
	Unix timestamps: the last time
	a files's "access time", "file status" and "modification time".

	n  is time
	interval -- an integer with optional sign. It is measured in
	24-hour periods (days) or minutes counted from the current moment.n: If the integer n does not have
		sign this means exactly n 24-hour periods (days) ago, 0 means
		today.

		+n: if it has plus sing, then it
		means "more then n 24-hour periods (days) ago", or older then n,

		-n: if it has the minus sign, then
		it means less than n 24-hour periods (days) ago (-n), or younger then
		n. It's evident that -1,  and 0 are the same and both means "today".

http://www.wagoneers.com/UNIX/FIND/find-usage.html

www.Obnosis.com |  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations:obnosis |  hackfest.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
January PLUG HackFest = Kristy Westphal, AZ Department of Economic Security Forensics @ UAT 1/10/09 12-3PM
Take the Black [Linux BT3] Pill & leave SecurityMatrix, or take the Blue [XP/Vista Pill] & stay happily ignorant.