rsync error message

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Mon Dec 22 00:14:26 MST 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Lisa Kachold wrote:

> diff will check difference in files or directories, but not symlinks and dot files automatically (depending on how you ask - or what your command syntax looks like).
>
> You evidently don't have dircmp installed.  Are you using Debian or Ubuntu?

Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 and debian etch. Mondo works well on Debian but not
on Hardy which is why I'm trying rsync. dircmp isn't installed on either
Ubuntu or on Debian.

> For instance, did you ask for your diff like this:
> diff -r --brief dir1 dir2

Yes.

> Just to make this simple:
>
> 1) Visually inspect your source directory and children directories for:
>
> a) Permissions issues
> b) Writable files
> c) symlinks
>
> 2) Check the permissions for your destination directory, symlinks and dot files or directories, visually.
>
> 3) Post both commands, your full diff command and your original rsync command.

rsync -va /home/holtzm /media/disk
diff -r -q /home/holtzm /media/disk/holtzm

Just ran diff again and, as expected there were a number of differences
since I have used Hardy since the backup. The interesting thing is that
it picked up differences in a number of dot files and directories which
answers my question about whether diff checked dot files.

> 4) Bugs exist for rsync; check your distro and rsync version?  Error
> 23 can be a bug even when all files have been successfully tranferred.

This is what I'm inclined toward.

> Check the Ubuntu support forums for others with your version, and/or Debian bugs, etc.

I'll do it. Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
To enjoy life take big bites. Moderation is for monks.