newbie has problems w/ dialup - SUCCESS!!!

Mark Zyniecki mzyniecki at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 08:39:30 MST 2008

Success at last. With the suggestions here, some additional digging in
the logs and man pages, and a little experimentation, I figured out I
was modifying the wrong file. I had been working on wvdial.conf, but I
should have been modifying smpppd-ifcfg.

Once that nut was cracked, everything else was a piece of cake. First
change was the connection speed from 4000000Kbps to 115600 Kbps. Then
compared speed results of the default openSUSE init string against the
default from DUN in WinXP. Turns out using the WinXP string in SUSE is
much faster, just about the same as using it in WinXP. Both now
download the 150 Kb test file in about 25 secs.

I don't know why YaST doesn't write the changes even though the
rigmarole at "Finish" says it's making the mods. At this point,
though, it doesn't matter.

Quick recap for Lisa (this was in earlier posts in the thread):
Recently I turned my HP WinXP box into a dual boot with openSUSE11.
The modem is an external, USB/serial, hardware, 56K Actiontec modem.
(Where I live, the only choices are dialup or satellite.) Download
speeds, tested on a web site, were over 6 times faster in XP compared
to SUSE, but not anymore. ;0) In addition to the changes, above, MTU
and MRU were changed in /etc/ppp/options to values appropriate for
dialup.

Thanks for all the help, everybody.