rsync error message

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Thu Dec 18 23:30:14 MST 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Lisa Kachold wrote:

> A) rdiff
>
> You might use dircmp instead of rdiff to include the dot . files?
>
> dircmp holtzcm /media/disk/home

Ran a search on dircmp and most everything I found said diff did the
same thing. One message asked specifically where to d/l dircmp and all
the replys said use diff. Not one told him where to get it.

Do I understand from your reply that diff doesn't check dot files? I had
never heard that.

BTW, where *do* you get it? Apt-get install throws up its hands. Is it
part of a larger package?

> B) rsync
>
> 1) rsync reports a code 23 when there's a problem with the
> password file, even when the right password is supplied and files are
> transferred.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg19786.html
>
> 2) Various versions of rsync/CVS included a bug that there was an issue with password file (Probably not your issue) reported as error 23.
>
> 3) Samba often reports a code 23 when issues occur for permissions.
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2007-July/017975.html
>

> 4) rsync reports a code 23 when permissions for read only access do not match the owner running the sync job, irregardless of if all files are transferred.

I found this right after I posted. Unless I find out differently I'm
inclined to go with 2).

Thanks for the reply.

--
Bob Holtzman