newbie has problems w/ dialup

Patrick Jacques patrick at kinetic-computing.net
Thu Dec 18 12:02:07 MST 2008

Those recomendations are valid for broadband, but this is analog dialup,
so anything over 576 is gonna cause delays.  Windows is defaulting to an
MTU of 576, which is why it's working better right now.  You don't want
the biggest packet possible when your bandwidth is limited, it's like a
freeway @ rush hour with too many cars on the road, it just gets slower.