newbie has problems w/ dialup

Mark Zyniecki mzyniecki at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 00:07:53 MST 2008

Well, Matt, I do live in BFE if that's what you call living half way
between Flagstaff and Williams. The only options are dialup or
satellite.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
The WinXP modem init string is: AT &F E0 &C1 &D2 V1 S0=0\V1

In openSUSE11 the connection is made via KInternet. (I'm using KDE 3.5
w/ openSUSE11.)
pppd uses wvdial.
The default baud rate in wvdial was changed from 57600 to 115200.
McAfee Speedometer test for download of 150Kb file had a drop in time
from 171 seconds to 161 seconds with higher baud.

The SUSE modem init string is: AT Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

FROM /etc/ppp/options:
# Set the MRU [Maximum Receive Unit] value to <n> for negotiation.  pppd
# will ask the peer to send packets of no more than <n> bytes. The
# minimum MRU value is 128.  The default MRU value is 1500.  A value of
# 296 is recommended for slow links (40 bytes for TCP/IP header + 256
# bytes of data). The value 1492 is for DSL connections (PPP Default -
# PPPoE Header: 1500 - 8 = 1492)
# mru 1492

# Set the MTU [Maximum Transmit Unit] value to <n>. Unless the peer
# requests a smaller value via MRU negotiation, pppd will request that
# the kernel networking code send data packets of no more than n bytes
# through the PPP network interface. The value 1492 is for DSL connections
# (PPP Default - PPPoE Header: 1500 - 8 = 1492)
# mtu 1492

FROM /etc/ppp/options.pptp:
#
# We want a sane mtu/mru
#
mtu 1000
mru 1000

I think that's everything that was asked for, but let me know if I
forgot something.
Should I make changes to mtu and mru in options.pptp?
Also, if it would help, I can post modem logs for each system.