newbie has problems w/ dialup

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Dec 17 14:42:58 MST 2008

From: "Bob Elzer" <bob.elzer at gmail.com>
> What software are you using to dialup for each system ?
> It's been a while since I've had to use dialup for anything, but I
> remember something about buffer/packet sizes.

For a 56K serial modem, the thing to do was to set the speed to 115200,
not 57600.  This allowed compression on text data, so you could get
almost 9K/sec on ASCII text.  Whether this has any relevance to a USB
device, I dunno.  I got some proper bloody bandwidth in 2002 and haven't
looked back.  Dialup's just too limited unless you're out in BFE and
can't get anything else.

> Can you tell what sizes are being used for each system?
> Increasing it may help, but I'm not sure by how much.

MTU should be 1500.  MTUs shorter than about 1492 can break things,
though they shouldn't.  The old "16550 16 byte rx/tx buffer" thing is
irrelevant to a USB device, or should be.

The OP mentioned YaST.  I have not ever been impressed with SuSE as a
whole, since it seems to have more weird bugs than most other distros
and has been that way since 1999.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows